Saturday, February 4, 2012

I Love My Motorhome.

I am a busy guy, but if I had time for a fetish, this would be it: this is my 24-foot 1988 Glendale Sterling.
Tunnel Mountain, Banff Alberta
View of the Whaleback from Porcupine Hills, Alberta

We purchased this barely-used beauty in 2001. Our first voyage was a one-month trip to New Mexico, where my son was attending college.  After that trip, LOML* said "that was the finest trip of my entire life."
Since then we have been hooked.


Molly reading the book Backroads of Southern Alberta
I fantasize about becoming a backroading fulltimer but that must remain a fantasy for many years to come. I'll have to content myself with the occasional trip, the joy of maintenance, and admiring my prized possession on the driveway.
My intention for this blog: 
  1. to document my improvements, repairs, maintenance and camping tips to share what I learn,
  2. to post some trip highlights, and
  3. to muse about my fantasy - becoming a backroading fulltimer.  
* LOML = "Love of my life"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a 1985 Glendale. Looking for a owner manual? Any tips

Dean Jarvey said...

Hi Autumn. I received all of the documentation from the previous owner but there was nothing in the way of an owners manual for the house part of the motorhome. You can get an owner's manual and repair guide for the Ford chassis that it is built on, but I don't think that is what you are looking for. I bought a good general motorhome repair manual: Rv Repair and Maintenance Manual by Bob Livingston. Each of the appliances, furnace, water heater etc. have individual owners guides, but they are very brief. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Catherine Robbie Maille said...

Good morning. I came upon your blog quite by accident while looking for a fix for a leaky roof on our old glendale . Found your blog very helpful and quite interesting. We are the proud new owners of an old 89 so this will be a continual learning experience for us! The Ontario folks .

Unknown said...

Hi, Very interesting site, just found a 1964/65 Glendale Glenette, all aluminum construction, in pretty fair shape, would like to know the tongue and trailer GVW weight, or if anyone has a copy of a manual would be really helpful. rear label says "Model 19" serial number "562508" Strathroy. Ontario. has Robbins egg blue original stove, no fridge, needs total re-work inside, a "project" for sure...................any help much appreciated...........THANKS

Rob Leatherdale said...

I have a 2005 Royal Classic. There are two switches (light switches)beside the battery switch on the left wall as you go up the steps into the unit. Wiring under the fridge disappears into the floor. Does anyone have any idea what these switches are for? Frankly I only discovered that they draw 1W and 5W respectively when the battery switch is off. This draws power from the auxiliary batteries. The switches in the "off" position are actually "on". Anyone else have that issue?